Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

If you have a question, the Office of Student and Academic Affairs (OSAA) is happy to provide an answer.  Below are the most frequently asked questions and answers from the OSAA.

Do you have a question you'd like to see answered here?  Contact Alicia Rhine in the Office of Student and Academic Affairs at

What does OSAA stand for?

OSAA is the acronym McCormick uses for the Office of Student and Academic Affairs.  The Office of Student and Academic Affairs is where you will likely go with questions about personal care, spiritual health, vocational ministry and training, ordination processes, health insurance, referrals, and a broad range of concerns.

I have too many things in my backpack; I'm tired of carrying my books.  Is there somewhere I can store them at McCormick?

McCormick has lockers available for student rental in the 5460 building. For more information about lockers, see Locker Information.

Where can I pay my student account balance / how can I check it?

If you would like to check your student balance, you can easily do so using the McCormick Self Service website. Visit the site and login using the information provided to you by McCormick's IT department. Go to the Finances tab and click on 'Balance' or 'Statement' to view your student account information.

If you would like to pay your student account balance or have further questions about it, you can contact Scarlet Coleman-Dell in the Office of Student Accounts at 773-947-6277,, or in person at her office on the 2nd floor of the McCormick building.

Can I reserve a room for a student group meeting or other special event? Who do I talk to and what is the process?

Room reservations are available for student groups in the 5460 building, as well as in the 1400 building and Kimbark building lounges.

If you would like to reserve a room in the 5460 building, you need to first contact Monica Williams ( to confirm the availability of the room and request a room reservation form. This request must be completed at least two weeks in advance of your event (earlier reservation means better reservation possibilities). Once your room availability is confirmed, you may submit a room request via email or in person to Monica. Your request must include your choice of room setup, and you must also work with the seminary's IT department ( to request any media assistance you need prior to room confirmation. The seminary will check to make sure you represent a valid student group and will confirm room setup with you. Your room reservation is not final until you receive a final confirmation from Monica Williams about the room.

Who do I talk to about parking at McCormick?

Faculty, staff and students are prohibited from parking in visitor spots of the surface lot (outside the 5460 building). There is no overnight parking on the surface level. If you would like to park at McCormick's 5460 building (and not on the street), you need to apply for a permit for the underground ramp located below the 5460 building and Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago (LSTC) building.

Underground parking is available to faculty/cabinet level administrators of LSTC and McCormick, staff of LSTC and McCormick, currently enrolled student residents and commuter students of LSTC and McCormick, and sponsored events and groups.

Parking permits will be assigned at the beginning of each academic year and may be renewed each term. After the beginning of the academic year, parking permits are limited and available on a 'first-come, first-served' basis.

For more information about parking at McCormick and to apply for underground parking, please contact Scarlet Coleman-Dell at 773-947-6277 or

What is the difference between Field Studies and CPE?

Field Studies is run by McCormick Seminary and is a 9-month part-time ministry internship required for the Master of Divinity, Master of Arts in Discipleship Development, and Master of Arts in Urban Ministry degrees. You can learn more about field studies through the Office of Experiential Education and Field Studies.

Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) is a privately-run supervised ministry experience that is a requirement for ordination in many denominations, and it is not administered by McCormick. For more information about CPE, visit the related OSAA page or visit

Where can I find my class syllabi and book lists?

Class syllabi can be found on the registar's page (Academics > Course Schedules and Registrar) under the Masters Level Course Schedules link ( Once on this page, search for your class and click on the title. If available, a class syllabi will be listed as the last item in the class details. Syllabi are also found within the course materials available within Moodle. 

The class book list should also be found on this syllabus.

If you are unable to find your class syllabus and book list this way, please contact the professor listed as the class instructor for more information.

How do I register for classes at other Association of Chicago Theological Schools (ACTS) seminaries? What classes are available?

If you would like to register for a course at another ACTS school, first confirm with your faculty advisor that you are eligible to do so. Then, register by completing the ACTS Cross Registration Form and submitting it the the Registrar.

To see what courses are available at other ACTS schools, visit

When is community worship at McCormick?

Community worship for the 2013-2014 academic year happens every Wednesday in the McGaw Common Room (5460 Building) at 12:15pm in the afternoon. All are welcome and invited.

Where can I attend worship services in the Chicago area?

For a list of local churches, visit Local Churches in Chicago. Here, you can visit websites for each church to access calendars and worship times.

I need someone to talk to about my spiritual life / mental health. Where can I go?

OSAA can refer you to multiple mental health providers, counselors, or spiritual directors; for more information, visit our Counseling Resources or Spiritual Direction page.

Additionally, the Student Board of Deacons provides prayer and spiritual support for all students. For more information and to find your class deacons, visit the Deacon's page.

Where can I go outside and/or be active?

There are many places in Hyde Park and around Chicago to be outside and active.

There are beaches, the Lakeshore Trail, and parks within walking distance from McCormick. For information about Chicago's many parks and beaches, visit the Chicago Park District website.

There are also many options for fitness near McCormick.

University of Chicago Ratner Fitness Center and Henry Crown Field House are available for McCormick student use at discounted rates.  For more information about memberships, see  McCormick students are eligible for "non-registered student" fees and can obtain memberships by visiting the Ratner Fitness Center front desk at 5530 S. Ellis Ave., and can call the desk for information at 773.702.3871. 

What's the easist / quickest way to get to downtown Chicago from McCormick?

The Chicago Transportation Authority runs multiple buses that go from Hyde Park to downtown Chicago, including routes 2, 6, 10, 28, and x28. For more information on these routes, visit

The Metra also provides transportation from Hyde Park to Downtown.  The Metra Electic District train services Hyde Park and has multiple stops in the area, the closest to McCormick being on 55th/56th/57th Street near Lake Park Avenue.  Ticket prices vary based on route and destination.  For schedules and more information, visit

I don't feel good, where should I go? What if it's the weekend? Or, what if I don't want to go to the ER?

If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please call 9-1-1.

The closest emergency room to McCormick is the University of Chicago Emergency Room, 901 E. 58th St (  If you do visit this emergency room, make sure they know you are a McCormick student.

Your urgent care options depend on your health insurance coverage. Some health insurance companies offer 24-hour nurse hotlines; if that is the case for your insurance, this hotline may be able to connect you with the most appropriate options. Your doctor or her/his answering service may also be able to refer you to an urgent care location or physician on-call.

Students covered under the University of Chicago's - Student Health Insurance Plan (U-SHIP) may call 773-702-4156 to make an appointment.  The Primary Care Service (PCS) is located in Suite R-100 of the main hospital at 5841 S. Maryland Avenue. Summer hours at the PCS will run 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday.  Urgent care will be open on Saturdays from 8 am to 11 am on a walk-in basis through the Primary Care Group located in the DCAM, suite 3C.

Walgreens also offers Take Care clinics (, open 7 days a week and no appointment necessary) for the care of minor illnesses, injuries, and skin conditions. The closest Take Care clinic is located at 11 E 75th Street and is open Monday-Friday 8am-7:30pm and Saturday-Sunday 9am-4:30pm. Another nearby clinic is located at 3401 W Roosevelt Road with the same hours.

Where can I volunteer in the Hyde Park / Chicago area?

For a list of local community organizations and non-profits, visit the Hyde Park Local Resources page. This list will be a good place to start for local volunteer opportunities. 

Where should I look for scholarships?

Often, the best way to look for scholarships may be through your local church pastor or through your denominational governing bodies (or websites). Additionally, emails are sent regularly to the McCormick student body with information about available scholarships.

If you have further questions about scholarships, please contact Tabitha Clark (

My family wants to come visit and they don't all fit in my apartment and/or they have a large pet with them. Any suggestions?

McCormick Seminary offers guest housing for individuals associated with a current student at 1400 E. 57th Street. Accommodations are available for $60/night for a single, $90 per night for a double/couple. Information about guest housing can be found here. Contact Monica Williams at for reservations. 

Additionally, Chicago offers a wide variety of hotel options, including pet-friendly hotels. You can find such hotels through a simple online search.