Master of Arts in Discipleship Development
The Master of Arts in Discipleship Development (M.A.D.D.) is a two-year degree program providing students with a focus on the practices, skills, and strategies essential for the development of programs for Christian formation that are effective in congregational and agency settings.
Program Learning Objectives
Students who complete this degree will be able to:
- Teach basic concepts of Christian belief, traditions and practices
- Equip others to engage in a variety of spiritual practices, such as prayer, hospitality, or worship
- Plan and lead programs of Christian formation in a variety of settings
- Analyze and evaluate resources and practices for Christian formation.
Requirements for the Degree
The Master of Arts in Discipleship Development must be completed within six years of matriculation into the program. The degree is awarded for successful completion of 18 courses including academic, fieldbased, and integrative studies in the fields of Bible, History, Ministry, and Theology and Ethics.
Required Courses and Distribution of Courses
Twelve courses at the introductory level are required and prerequisite to most other courses in their field:
- Pilgrimage in Faithfulness
- Introduction to Biblical Studies
- History Survey I and II
- Introduction to Christian Theology
- Introduction to Christian Ethics
- Reflection on Ministry (two course units)
- Educational Ministry of the Church
- Introduction to Christian Worship
- Spirituality for Ministry
- Seminar in Discipleship Development
Discipleship Development Seminar (Integration Course)
This course involves students in the development of programs for Christian formation that are effective in congregational and agency settings. A major learning outcome is the design, implementation and evaluation of a course project. This project will be presented and critiqued indialogue with class members. Projects will seek to integrate theory, biblical and theological disciplines, practices, and traditions of the Christian faith.
Other courses required for the Master of Arts in Discipleship Development program are:
- One elective course in Old Testament
- Three elective courses in Religious Education, Worship or Spirituality
- One elective course in New Testament
- One elective course of your choosing