September 25 Presidential Search Update
The McCormick Presidential Search Committee held its first meeting this past weekend to launch the important work of finding McCormick Seminary’s next president. During this all- day meeting, the Committee:
- Outlined the tasks and timeline for our work
- Developed a plan for gathering broad input on McCormick’s leadership needs from the Seminary’s many constituencies and for keeping in touch with these constituencies throughout the search process
- Brainstormed on the seminary needs and the qualities and characteristics we might seek in McCormick’s next president
- Sought to listen to God’s leading as we began this work.
Overview of search tasks and timeline
The Committee’s goal is to recommend a candidate to the Board of Trustees by late spring, 2011. As in any search, this timeline depends on many factors and will be reviewed and revised as the process unfolds. In very broad strokes, the steps we have identified include:
- October - December 2010 Gather input from McCormick constituents on leadership needs, develop the search materials (McCormick background information, position profile), and advertise the position and actively recruit potential candidates.
- Early Winter Generate a strong applicant pool through continued recruitment efforts and screen applicants.
- Late Winter - Spring Committee conducts screening interviews with semi-finalist pool and finalist(s) are brought to McCormick for interviews with key constituents. Finally the committee recommend will recommend and the Board will elect McCormick’s next president.
How you can be involved at this stage of the process
During the month of October, we will be seeking your help in several specific ways:
- You soon will receive an e-mail requesting your suggestions on McCormick’s leadership needs for this next phase of the Seminary’s life. Your ideas will help shape the presidential profile we use to recruit McCormick’s next president so I encourage you to give some thought to this important topic and send us your ideas. In addition, we will be in communication with the Alumni Council to gain their insights.
- We also ask that you help us identify potential candidates. Please let me or any other committee members know of individuals you think should be encouraged to apply. It will be helpful to us if you include contact information and a little bit of background on why you think this individual would be a strong candidate for the McCormick presidency.
- Finally, please keep the Search Committee and all who might consider assuming McCormick’s presidency in your prayers as we work to discern God’s plan for McCormick’s future leadership.
As a reminder, those persons elected to serve on this committee are: Faculty members David Daniels and Deborah Kapp, Student Michele Edwards, and Trustees Deborah Block, Nancy Enderle, Eddie Knox, Melinda Krei, Bob Unglaub, Saundra Tracy and Board Chair John Anderson as an ex officio member. I am so impressed with the Committee members’ sense of calling to this task and the knowledge and wisdom they bring to this work. We will keep you regularly updated on our progress.
The Presidential Search Committee