Chicago, IL 60690-3882
contact: The Rev. Trey Hall
Founded in March 2010.
We are committed to creating a diverse Christian community in the heart of the city of Chicago, an "urban village" where we build relationships with each other and with God--relationships that change our lives and also change the world.
We desire to be:
- a church that is bold: where there is authentic joy in gathering to worship God and power in discovering that our lives working together can serve and change the world.
- a church that is inclusive: where absolutely everybody--seeker and skeptic, Democrat and Republican, gay and straight, young and old, woman and man--has a real place at the table. We mean it. Wherever you are on your spiritual journey, you are truly welcome here.
- a church that is relevant: where the message connects to the real world and helps you live your Monday-Saturday life, where beliefs aren't rigid boxes to check but springboards into imagination and meaningful action.
There are three worship sites: Downtown, Andersonville, Wicker Park
275-300 in worship each weekend.
150 people participating in small groups.
Still an 85% anglo majority, but an increasingly racially diverse staff and congregation.
- Church planting and church transformation strategy
- Discipleship emphasis (small group leadership)
- Affinity-based ministry (young adults, children, youth, LGBT, women and men)
- Evangelism and invitation
- Worship leadership
- Order and administration
All student pastors/field ed interns at Urban Village Church will be hard-working members of a team. We believe in creative/theological ideation AND taking responsibility for stewarding/incarnating those ideas. We offer deep commitment to formation and expect deep commitment to ministry.
Both Trey Hall and Christian Coon are ordained elders in The United Methodist Church and have been serving for 11 and 13 years, respectively. Both have extensive experience in supervising students. We meet one hour a week for individual, one-to-one reflection. Field Ed students are also part of Tuesday morning staff meetings.
from Hyde Park via car and/or public transportation.
See our website.