The Associate Minister is an ordained Minister of Word and Sacrament and will share in the ministerial role of the congregation, such as worship, liturgy and pastoral care. The Associate Minister supervises the program ministries of the church and directly leads specific program groups as assigned by the Executive Minister. Currently, the primary direct ministry assignments of the Associate Minister will be the Youth and Marble Connection, the 20s and 30s ministry of the church.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in the team ministry of Pastoral Care for the congregation through prayer ministries, wedding preparation, funeral response and planning, and bereavement care, respond to immediate congregational needs for pastoral care, which may include walk-ins, scheduled appointments and hospital, nursing, or home visitation, and assist, as requested, with pastoral care programs involving training and equipping of laity.
- Participate regularly in Sunday and/or Wednesday worship (2 or 3 times monthly) by leading prayers, litanies, announcements, etc.
- Teach, lead or facilitate in such settings as retreats, workshops, and baptism, confirmation and new members classes.
- Preach at Wednesday Worship, summer Sunday worship services, and officiate at weddings as requested by Marble’s Senior and Executive Ministers.
- Collaborate with colleagues in church growth and stewardship initiatives, encouraging faithful adherents to join the Marble community and to participate with their time, talents and treasures.
- Participate in Church-wide Events, team meetings, etc., some of which occur on weeknights and weekends.
Program Ministry Strategy and Leadership
- Supervise the overall expansion and coordination of program ministries, such as fellowship groups and other assigned group ministries, including providing supervision to staff leading those ministries.
- Provide direct leadership and coordination of specific program groups as assigned.
- Guide, empower and equip a lay Leadership Team for each group as they plan and implement an annual cycle of programming.
- Nurture each respective Leadership Team and reach out to newcomers to the Marble community who show an interest in that area of programming.
- Work with Media and Communication, to brand and market program ministries internally and externally.
- Prepare and manage budgets for all areas of responsibility.
- Collaborate with staff colleagues to enable shared programming when appropriate.
- Other tasks and duties as assigned.
Team Development and Management
- Develop, recruit, train, and supervise full time and part time staff and contractors in the assigned program ministry areas.
- Create, maintain, and oversee schedules and attendance for supervisees.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning, commitment to quality, and innovative approaches that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach and leverage volunteer expertise to execute the Program Ministry plan and strategy.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, establish priorities, set objectives, conduct annual performance appraisals, and administer salary adjustments.
Specific Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Expectations
- Ordained minister, with a Master of Divinity or higher degree, who has been ordained through the RCA, the UCC, or other partner denomination through the Formula of Agreement who has a special calling in the area of Youth and Young Adult ministry.
- Sense of calling to congregational care, that no one “slips through the cracks,” and to nurturing the spiritual life and giftedness of all God’s people.
- A commitment to the unique ministry setting of New York City and the tri-state area, appreciation for parishioners' wide-ranging vocations and interests in the arts, media, not-for-profit and financial industries.
- Passion for Marble’s vision and mission: a focus on the uniqueness of the individual, the transformational power of faith and discipleship, and local outreach combined with national and international reach through the media.
- Alignment with core beliefs of inclusivity and welcome, positive thinking and Christian discipleship.
- A team leader and team player who is equally comfortable building, mentoring and coaching a ministry team as he/she is working collaboratively with others.
- An ability to identify and employ gifts in congregants while sharing and demonstrating their own mature, authentic faith in compelling ways.
- A dynamic, warm and approachable leader with an ability to relate to people of all ages, races, socio-economic, sexual orientation and gender identities.
- Good listener, communicator (both oral and written), empathetic, non-judgmental, compassionate, with a sense of humor.
- Energetic, dynamic, strong work ethic.
- Good judgment, ability to maintain confidentiality.
How to Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to Rev. J. Elise Brown, Ph. D., Executive Minister, at email@example.com. EOE
Marble Collegiate Church is located on Fifth Avenue and 29th Street in New York City. An open and affirming community, Marble’s history dates back to 1628 and has grown and progressed with New York City to develop a worldwide reputation.
Vision: We envision a world where we all become the individuals God created us to be./p>
Mission: Marble Collegiate Church is a diverse, inclusive community of God’s people led by the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. We inspire everyone to become positive thinkers who make a difference in the world.