Position Summary: Establishes, coordinates and sustains relationships with faith-based and community organizations. Participates in VCCR Departmental responsibilities which include promoting volunteer opportunities, speaking engagements, administrative tasks, and transportation of in-kind donations.
General Purpose: Promotes the mission of The Night Ministry through involvement of community, faith-based groups, and organizations.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong, collaborative working relationships with internal and external stakeholders of The Night Ministry, especially group volunteer and in-kind donors
- Demonstrated ability to use theology to engage congregations in financial, in-kind, and volunteer support for The Night Ministry.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment, across diverse programs
- Outstanding interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
Community and Congregational Relations:
- Build, maintain and deepen community, congregational and faith-based relationships in Chicago and the metropolitan region.
- Respond promptly and effectively to internal and external volunteer inquiries, directly or by referral.
- Schedule, manage and track meals prepared and served by volunteers at outreach sites and in shelters
- Schedule, conduct and track Night Walk educational immersion experiences for students
- Spearhead the Holiday Celebration stocking project. Manage inquiries, organize volunteer support, send thank-you letters, and related duties
- Represent The Night Ministry at congregational services and events, clergy associations, denominational meetings, faith-based advocacy groups, and volunteer/service/mission fairs
- Provide public education on The Night Ministry’s mission, advocacy, and direct service work. Develop and co-facilitate corporate Lunch & Learn events
- Maintain an up-to-date database of significant contacts, group volunteer service projects, and related information.
- Develop and execute a regular recognition plan for participating service groups
- Assist in the transportation of in-kind donations from donors to office, off-site storage, and programs.
- Participate in the solicitation, receipt, and tracking of in-kind donations and gift cards.
- Participate in departmental evaluation activities
- Maintain familiarity with agency’s target populations and communities served using current literature and agency materials
- Attend staff, agency, and inter-agency meetings, trainings and seminars as assigned; participate in the agency’s public relations and fund-raising activities as required
- Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisor
Essentials skills and experience:
- Two years experience in related position
- Demonstrated success and comfort working with diverse populations, cultural and faith traditions
- Outstanding interpersonal, writing and oral skills; must be effective speaking publicly
- Access to reliable personal transportation, current driver’s license, good driving record, and evidence of insurability
- Able to make frequent local travel, and some travel within Illinois
- Able to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, nights, and the days leading up-to Christmas Eve (may include up to three Sundays every month)
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and strategize
- Creative, detail-oriented team player and self-starter who can stay organized and multi-task in a busy environment
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office, database, social media, internet)
Nonessential skills and experience:
- Familiarity with Chicago-area faith-based community
Reporting to this position: No direct reports