Congregational Outreach and Program Assistant
|Employer||Faith In Place · 70 E. Lake Street, Suite 920 · Chicago, IL 60601 Ph: 312.733.4640 · Fax: 312.726.6108. Web site: www.faithinplace.org/|
Congregational Outreach and Program Assistant Position Description
This position is focused on outreach in Chicago and surrounding diverse communities. A large portion of this work will be concentrated in the African-American communities of diverse religious backgrounds.
The staff person will work closely with the Chicago Congregational Outreach Director on environmental issues of concern in these communities (such as healthy food access, air pollution, water quality, green collar jobs, energy costs, etc.) and contribute to ways Faith in Place supports the congregations’ interests in caring for the environment.
This job calls for an energetic and creative organizer, who knows the African American community well, can work independently and who has a strong interest in the links between the teachings of faith and caring for the earth. The duties and responsibilities of the Congregational Outreach and Program Assistant will include the following:
- Serve as the primary facilitator of the Migration, Monarchs, and Birds & Me Conservation Program. A program that engages congregations in the art of storytelling; sharing their person migration stories and the connection to conservation of the natural world in which they live.
- The Program Assistant will coordinate nature outings that involve conservation in the Calumet River Region and facilitate story circles though the congregations enrolled in the program.
- Will be called upon to meet with clergy, ministry teams, lay leaders and judicatory staff for denominations such as the African Methodist Episcopal Church, United Church of Christ, Roman Catholic, United Methodists and the others, to determine what issues and programming would be most helpful to their denomination and local congregations.
- To facilitate and conduct workshops that connects religious responsibility to be good stewards of the earth and gives congregation members concrete ways to do this;
- Weave new congregations into our larger Faith in Place network of educational workshops, special events, interfaith forums and the like.
- Regularly use Social Media, our newsletter and website to connect faith audiences and our partners to our work
- Participate in other Faith in Place programming as needed.
- Represent Faith in Place at various community meetings and events.
- Serve as an administrative assistant to the Outreach Coordinator
20 hours per week year round, flexible schedule that will include some weekends.
Good office set-up and atmosphere. Weekly staff meetings and some out of town travel.
- Strong connections and knowledge of the urban congregational culture (ideally, the person will be clergy, seminary student or has worked in a faith-based setting)
- Openness to people of all faiths (familiarity with different faith traditions a plus)
- Some level of higher education with emphasis in religious studies, environmental studies, community organizing/development or related field required is a plus.
- An understanding of the oral tradition of storytelling amongt families and communities.
- Experience in organizing, education, or working with faith-based organizations
- Some experience working with youth, young adults and young families is a plus.
- A gift for educating and inspiring people to make changes for the good of others
- Interest in all aspects of environmental stewardship and enjoys engaging in outdoor activities such as conservation, hiking, gardening and the like.
- A valid Illinois driver’s license and safe driving record is a must.
- Comfortable with using technology and engaging in social media.
- Good oral and writing skills
Supervisor: This position reports to the Congregational Outreach Director of Faith in Place
Resumes and references are to be sent to email@example.com.
Job listings submitted by third parties are not verified by McCormick Theological Seminary. If you have a job you would like to see listed here send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org