Director of Children’s and Youth Ministries
|Employer||First Presbyterian Church, Attn: Rev. Ben Johnston-Krase, 716 College Avenue Racine, WI 53403. Phone: 262-632-1686. Web site: www.firstpresracine.org. Email: email@example.com|
First Presbyterian Church is a vibrant 350 member congregation on the shore of Lake Michigan in Racine, Wisconsin. We are seeking to be faithful to the gospel as we serve in mission, grow in faith, and reach out into our world that God loves. We are searching for a Director of Youth and Children's Ministries to join our staff team.
A Little Bit about Who We Are
First Presbyterian Church is a congregation striving to give words to that which is ultimately beyond our words, live into the sacramental nature of our lives, and commit ourselves as a family to God’s sense of direction in our world. In a postmodern age full of people who are spiritually hungry but institutionally suspicious, we aim to be an authentic, Christ-led community that embodies God’s love and grace.
We’ve been around a while. Some of our members can trace their families back 172 years to the folks who founded the congregation, while others are brand new. We have a long history of commitment to the Racine community. A number of years ago, the congregation made an intentional decision to remain in Racine’s downtown, despite the challenges that an older building and limited parking present. We value our partnerships with local nonprofit service agencies, and we are eager to put our gifts and resources to good use.
We believe that our best days are yet to come—that God’s fondest dreams for our lives are calling us even more deeply into community and encouraging us to prayerfully step forward in faith.
What You Would Be Doing
We have spent considerable time discerning what ministry outcomes we hope for from our staff, in partnership with our membership. We have some specific expectations for the ministry of our new staff member, but we also understand the importance of partnership in the broad scope of ministerial life at First Presbyterian.
- Meeting with parents and children regularly – forming relationships
- Overseeing the Sunday school programs and special events
- Being active in worship (leading prayers, Children’s sermons…)
- Planning activities with youth, children, and their families
- Planning and leading mission trips, retreats, and outreach events
- Taking youth to Triennium or other youth camps
- Becoming integrate in the pastoral care of the church
- Recruiting and training volunteers who work with children and youth
- We need someone who is comfortable in an environment of change and risk and growth.
- We would like a colleague who is eager to nurture the emerging sense of mission in our congregation—seeing it as a ministry that moves beyond “charity” and engages people in a mutually transforming experience.
- We would love to have someone with creative worship ideas and would like to be involved in planning, implementation, leadership, and preaching.
- We need someone who sees pastoral care as an opportunity for genuine relationships and building up the whole church. We would like someone who enjoys the new ways evangelism and discipleship can happen—both with individuals and in small groups.
- We want whoever is excited to explore and grow in all areas of ministry. (Nothing is “reserved” for the senior pastor alone.)
- Mostly, we need someone who works well with others, is comfortable taking initiative, isn’t afraid to fail, and has a deep faith in the transforming power of God in Jesus Christ.
Whoever comes to First Presbyterian will tackle many of these things, along with things we’ve never thought that you would bring to offer.
- Degree in Education, Ministry, or Christian Education, or equivalent study and/or experience
- Display a mature and personal Christian faith and its application to the challenges of daily life
- Demonstrate excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Pass a mandatory background check.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and comfort with the major emphases and doctrines of Reformed theology.
Potential exists for this to be a part-time or full-time position. Potential also exists for health benefits to be included in salary package, according to the guidelines of the Presbyterian Church USA and the personnel policies of First Presbyterian Church. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Professional expense reimbursement as well as a continuing education allowance will be provided.
To Apply, please send a cover letter and a resume with 3 references.
Job listings submitted by third parties are not verified by McCormick Theological Seminary. If you have a job you would like to see listed here send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org