Good Shepherd United Methodist Church is seeking a part time Director of Children’s Ministry to provide leadership and specific programs in the area of children ministries. Successful candidate must have faith in Jesus Christ; the ability to communicate the Christian faith with children in a way that encourages commitment and discipleship; ability to self-start but also work as a part of a team; willingness to be trained with United Methodist teachings.
The purpose of DIRECTOR OF CHILDREN MINISTRIES is to be responsible for the development and implementation of the vision, strategy, and day-to-day elements for all aspects of Children Ministries. Specifically, the Director of Children Ministries is responsible for GSUMC Sunday School Program, Vacation Bible School (VBS), and children events, i.e. Trunk’n Treat, Easter Egg Praise & Hunt, advent events, etc. Make contact with new families with young children to inform them of GSUMC programs available.
The DIRECTOR OF CHILDREN MINISTRIES shall be directly responsible to the Pastor and indirectly to the Staff-Parish Relations Committee.
The DIRECTOR OF CHILDREN MINISTRIES is expected to function in harmony with the pastor and the church staff, participating as a member of the leadership team.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION
1. The DIRECTOR OF CHILDREN MINISTRIES will be attentive to the hopes, concerns, and needs of children in the community to determine how the congregation might serve them and their families and how they might serve one another as Christian disciples and good neighbors. The coordinator should identify key people in the congregation and community who are advocates for children’s needs and issues.
2. The director needs to be familiar with the congregation’s overall goals and how they are achieved through the congregation’s ministry by, with, and for children and their families. This leader should pray intentionally for children and their families.
3. This leader will advocate that all children are welcome and expected to be fully engaged in the ministries of the church.
4. The director will work with others to plan and carry out a comprehensive program for children that includes worship, study, fellowship, service experiences, and other experiences that guide children as they grow in faith. The coordinator will advocate for quality leadership and ample funding.
5. The director will lead the church in creating and annually updating Safe Sanctuaries policies and guidelines and living into them as a community of nurture.
6. The director will work with other leaders to develop, adapt and secure theologically aligned and developmentally appropriate resources and curriculum that support the work of teachers and group leaders in ministry with children.
7. The director is encouraged to maintain a healthy and growing personal spiritual life and to lead others to do the same.
8. The director is accountable to the church council.
• Inspire the spiritual life of children through various opportunities for Christian growth, education, recreation, and nurture.
• Oversee fun, exciting, Christ-centered children’s programs: GSUMC Sunday School, VBS, Trunk’n Treat, Easter Egg Praise & Hunt, Advent events and other ministry events consistent with Good Shepherd United Methodist Church’s overall mission.
• Maintain healthy relationships and consistent communication with parents.
• Coordinate with other ministries to advance GSUMC’s mission.
• Be the liaison between the church and Little Angels Nursery School to communicate our children ministries.
Management and Administration
• Cultivate highly motivated, passionate, well-trained children’s ministries volunteers through recruitment, screenings, guidelines, and trainings.
• Teach classes.
• Develop, implement, and maintain critical processes to ensure safety.
• Provide information for newsletter and bulletin
• Work with administrative assistant to maintain a database of children and families at GSUMC.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Pastor
Leadership & Development
Actively participate in staff meetings, church strategic planning meetings, Sunday School meetings, and other committees that might wish to collaborate and support Children Ministries.
Stay head-on of current developments and best practices related to children ministries.
1. Passionate for ministry with children and seeing growth in their faith.
2. Understands, supports, and protects GSUMC’s mission, values and culture.
3. Energetic, dynamic and relationally-oriented with children of all ages and their parents
4. “Go-to” leader with an encouraging, upbeat, positive attitude.
5. Strong interpersonal skills able to maintain healthy, motivating relationships with Pastor, coworkers, and volunteers.
6. Able to pass a background check.
7. Computer knowledge, general office machines experience.
SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
1. Teaching and communication skills and relationship building skills.
2. Organizational and administrative skills, including effectiveness in handling details.
3. Working knowledge of building children groups according with age and common interests.
Approximately 10 hours per week.
Please send your resume to email@example.com
. Good Shepherd United Methodist Church ~ 751 W. Army Trail Road, Bartlett, IL.~ 630-830-3003