Director of Christian Education
|Employer||Highland Park Presbyterian Church, 330 Laurel Avenue, Highland Park, IL 60035. Phone: 847-432-1695. Web site: www.hppcil.org/|
|Location||Highland Park, IL|
Purpose: To plan, develop, supervise, lead and direct the educational ministry of the Church in accordance with the policies and direction of the Session, in relationship with the Pastor, Session, Christian Education Committee, teachers, leaders and the congregation
Qualifications: The candidate will have a strong personal commitment to Christ and Christian education. A bachelor’s degree is required although equivalent applicable experience will be considered for the right candidate
Accountability: To be accountable to the Session, under the Supervision of the Pastor
Performance: Review to be conducted annually by the Pastor and the Session Personnel Committee
To make the Christian Education Committee aware of current trends and resources and to assist in the selection of appropriate Sunday School curriculum for the HPPC community
• Assist in the selection of Sunday School teachers, with the support of the Christian Education Committee
• Put together the teaching schedule and be available to teach occasionally
• Coordinate, support and motivate Sunday School teachers
• Direct the Youth Faith Formation program (6th -10th grade) one or two Sundays a month including occasional outings and/or retreats
JAM (Jesus and Me)
• Oversee and participate in the Thursday afternoon elementary program and its annual musical service from September through November and January through March
• This includes preparing and delivering weekly lesson plans, coordination of volunteers and weekly communication with parents
• Work with the Pastor in coordinating Adult Forum Class, including identifying potential speakers and/or providing educational content
• Facilitate other adult education programs for those church members who are unable to attend the traditional Sunday morning adult education program, Adult Forum, or are looking for additional adult programming, i.e. Book Club and/or Bible Study
Assist Pastor in implementing the Confirmation program, including meeting with confirmands on a weekly basis January through April
• Work with Christian Education Committee on mutually agreed upon activities such as planning and coordinating Graduation Sunday, Teacher Appreciation Sunday, and the annual Church Picnic
• Assist Pastor in development of new programs for the Church
• Serve as Pastor during the Pastor’s absence on study leave or vacation. This may include preaching and pastoral care if desired.
• Write and submit information, as needed, to the Church newsletter regarding educational programming
Availability and Regular Meetings:
• Expected to work on Sunday mornings and Thursday afternoons (JAM), unless on vacation
• Keep regular office hours in Director’s church office and keep close communication with the pastor and administrative assistant
• Attend all Christian Education Committee meetings and take minutes
Hours: Average 18 hours/week. Some weeks will be more hours and some less depending on time of year.
Pay: $1800 or more per month commensurate with experience and training
Vacation: 2 weeks paid, first year. Other time off negotiable.
Candidates are subject to a background check and drug testing.
Applicants should send an inquiry or resume to email@example.com or call 847-432-1695
Job listings submitted by third parties are not verified by McCormick Theological Seminary. If you have a job you would like to see listed here send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org