Junior High and Youth Mission Coordinator
|Employer||Fourth Presbyterian Church, 126 E Chestnut St., Chicago, IL 60611. Phone: 312-787-4570. Web site: www.fourthchurch.org|
Application Due Date: Thursday, August 15, 2013
The Junior High and Youth Mission Director is responsible for assisting the Associate Pastor for Youth Ministry with the planning, coordination, and implementation of the mission and ministry of the Youth Ministry at Fourth Presbyterian Church, a large, progressive, downtown congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA). Specific areas of focus are ministry with sixth and seventh graders, mission opportunities for youth, and coordinating mission trips for visiting youth groups. This is a non-ordainable position.
Schedule: Full time, including Sundays, overnight weekend events, and extended trips.
• Collaborate with the Associate Pastor for Youth Ministry and the Youth Ministry Committee in visioning and implementing the mission and ministry of the Youth Ministry at Fourth Presbyterian Church.
• Partner with the Associate Pastor for Youth Ministry in providing pastoral care for the youth and families of this congregation and community.
• Assume direct responsibility for program and curriculum planning for Elevation (grades 6 and 7), in consultation with and under the oversight and supervision of the Associate Pastor for Youth Ministry.
• Be present for and lead youth gatherings on Sundays. This will involve both program leadership and logistics coordination.
• Be present for and lead youth events such as lock-ins, retreats, fellowship and service activities, and mission trips. This will involve both program leadership and logistics coordination.
• Work with members of the Youth Ministry Committee and volunteers to oversee and plan monthly Youth and Family Lunches.
• Attend outside youth events (plays, sports games, etc.) as able.
• Be an active participant in Fourth Church Youth social media outreach.
• Maintain office hours during the week for planning and consultation purposes.
• Administrative and communication duties as negotiated with the rest of the Youth Ministry Staff.
• Attend and contribute to monthly Youth Ministry Committee meetings.
• Attend and help lead monthly youth leader meetings.
• Help manage equipment and storage space.
• Develop and maintain relationships with mission organizations throughout the Chicago metropolitan area.
• Coordinate mission experiences for all youth ministry groups.
• Develop, market, and coordinate a comprehensive program for hosting mission trip opportunities for visiting youth groups.
• Other duties as assigned or needed.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or equivalent work experience.
• Training and/or experience in youth ministry.
• An understanding of the basic tenets and practices of the Reformed Christian tradition, especially
as it is expressed in the Presbyterian Church (USA), and a willingness to operate within this
tradition is preferred, but not required.
• Experience facilitating large and small group programs.
• Experience with recreation and group-building activities for large and small groups.
• Musical ability and experience leading youth oriented worship is desired but not required.
• Good communication skills and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to organize and prioritize tasks.
• Ability to take initiative and be innovative.
• Ability to exercise good judgment.
• Good problem solving skills.
• Ability to respond quickly and meet deadlines.
• Strong attention to detail, accuracy and follow-through.
• Strong computer skills including proficiency in Word and in a Windows environment. A familiarity with ACS and Constant Contact is desired but not required.
• Experience or skills in desktop publishing and graphic design are desired but not required.
• Comfortable working in a faith-based environment.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Job listings submitted by third parties are not verified by McCormick Theological Seminary. If you have a job you would like to see listed here send the details to firstname.lastname@example.org