Managing Editor of Our Common Ministry
|Employer||Chicago Presbytery, 815 W. Van Buren Ave., Suite #500, Chicago, IL 60607-3506. Phone: 312-488-3000. Web site: www.chicagopresbytery.org|
PURPOSE: The Consultant is responsible for a newsletter that will keep the membership informed about recent presbytery activities and issues for the purpose of strengthening identity, community, and connectionalism.
COMPENSATION: The consultant shall be paid at the rate of $25.50 per hour; maximum 60 hours per newsletter issue, for five issues annually.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Consultant works directly with the Communications Coordinator and reports directly to the Executive Editor.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The primary responsibility of the Consultant is the creation of content for the newsletter.
The Consultant is expected to be involved in the following activities:
- Coordinate with the Communications Coordinator and Executive Editor to set and meet deadlines for draft iterations and approvals
- Extend invitations to identified article writers, receive confirmation, and follow up as needed with writers
- Glean content from church newsletters, websites, and eblasts
- Author content as needed
- Review and edit all submitted and authored content for accuracy, quality, style, spelling, punctuation, and grammar
- Request permission for use of copyrighted content from the copyright holders. Give appropriate attribution for use of licensed content
- Layout content in publishing software
- Produce final electronic version to be handed off to Communications Coordinator for production and distribution
If agreeable, the Consultant may be asked to work on other tasks related to the communications of the Presbytery.
• Excellent computer skills, especially publishing software (MS Publisher, InDesign, etc)
• Experience in design, layout, and content of newsletters
• Cordial attitude that pro-actively and openly honors contributors, evidencing value of their role in the community
• Experience in a non-profit environment is preferred
• Must be able to work on many different projects at one time
• Must be able to work independently
• Must be detail oriented and organized
• Ability to work as part of a larger team
APPLICATION DEADLINE: All materials must be received by August 30, 2013
APPLICATION CHECKLIST: Send a single email to Laura Cathey as follows:
• Subject: “OCMME app: ______“ filling in the blank with your name
• Cover letter: In the body of the email, state why your background and skills suit you to the position.
• Résumé: Attach your résumé as a PDF. Include your name in the filename.
• Portfolio: Attach 1-3 samples of your work. This can be newsletters, brochures, playbills, etc, representing your written as well as visual strengths.
o The format should be PDF and the filenames should be numbered, e.g. “1-school brochure.pdf” “2-concert flyer.pdf” etc.
o If the work is embedded in a website (e.g. Prezi, FlipSnack, etc) you may include the link in your cover letter.
o If you want to comment on the samples, please do so in no more than one sentence per sample in the cover letter. For files with multiple pages, use the cover letter to indicate a single page that best represents your work.
o Please complete and attach an Information Sheet for each sample (found on the job description post: http://www.chicagopresbytery.org/2013/07/30/managingeditor/).
• Bonus: Attach a document showing a “before” and “after” of a raw contribution that was submitted to you (the before) and improvements you made or solicited that polished it (the after).
The Presbytery of Chicago is a Christian community and a regional governing body of the Presbyterian Church (USA). The region encompasses more than 100 diverse church congregations and worshiping fellowships with nearly 40,000 members throughout Chicago and the surrounding area. Our congregations are urban and suburban, representing a variety of theological perspectives and varying in size from 14 members to more than 5,000 members.
The administrative headquarters of the Presbytery of Chicago is proud to serve and support this community.
Job listings submitted by third parties are not verified by McCormick Theological Seminary. If you have a job you would like to see listed here send the details to email@example.com