Background Information on Church
The experience, ethos and identity of Northbrook Presbyterian Church can be summed up in its mission statement: Live the love of Jesus Christ. As part of the PC(USA), we stand firmly within the Reformed Tradition, and believe that God comes to us in grace and love in the person of Jesus Christ who lived, died, and rose for us that we might belong to God and serve Christ in the world. We know ourselves to be called to minister in Jesus’ name, continuing his mission of teaching truth, feeding the hungry, healing the broken, and welcoming strangers. All that we do is informed by prayerful discernment as we seek faithfully to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit, who provides the energy, intelligence, imagination, and love necessary for us to be Christ’s disciples in the world.
“Everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another” (John 13:35). These words of Jesus translate for us into three core values that inform our worship and our work in the world:
- Open: Where you are invited as you are and inspired to grow no matter where you are on your spiritual journey.
- Rational: Where questioning is encouraged as an essential part of spiritual growth. Open-minded, intellectually stimulating and joyous in our approach to celebrating the love of God, we are a community of active learners of all ages who engage others in exploring how our faith is relevant to our lives today.
- Compassionate: Where what we believe is translated into how we live. We pray for, care for, love one another and reach out into the community to help and serve both young and old.
We are an active and engaged 250-member suburban congregation. We are blessed with a capable, dedicated staff led by our pastor Rev. Marjorie Wilhelmi, including a Congregational Care Director, Music Director, Youth Director, and administrative and custodian staff. We are blessed by a strong base of committed members, engaging worship, quality educational programs, and a vibrant youth group.
We place a high priority on ministries of compassion, peace and justice. We tithe all church receipts to mission and do hands-on work with Detroit area missions, annually host a homeless shelter, and participate in mission trips. Our Deacon Board provides compassionate care to church families in the challenges they may face. In addition, we house a thriving pre-school and a wide variety of outside groups who use our facility.
Purpose of Position
We are looking for someone to partner with us as we creatively explore new expressions of the church for the 21st Century. We seek to share the gospel with folks who have grown skeptical of religion, or for whom the church no longer seems relevant but who nonetheless are still spiritually hungry. As the community around us grows ever more diverse, so we feel called to become more diverse, and proactively extend the inclusive embrace of Christ to those who may feel disenfranchised in any way. We are looking for someone who has a dream to be creative, innovative, wants to think outside the box, perhaps break down the box.
This position is Temporary Supply Associate Pastor for Outreach Ministries. It is a full-time, ordained position focused on creating outreach opportunities and alternative worship experiences that are designed to attract people in our area who have pressing spiritual needs, but who avoid church. These offerings will take creative and innovative forms, at times of the week other than Sunday morning, and may occur in a wide variety of settings. The Associate Pastor will collaborate with Northbrook’s staff on creating a vision and programs for inviting skeptics and new believers in our area into an ever-deepening relationship with Jesus Christ.
Specific Responsibilities will include:
- Collaborate with the head of staff and session to devise an overall strategic outreach program to our community.
- Imagine, create and implement bi-weekly alternative worship experiences designed to reach the unchurched.
- Reach out to develop relationships and partnerships with local schools, churches and organizations and implement opportunities for study, service and relationship.
- Collaborate with the Youth Director to explore/expand opportunities for worship with children, youth and their parents who are currently part of our congregation yet not active in worship.
- Lead worship regularly on Sunday mornings.
- Preach on Sunday morning 8 – 12 times a year.
- Serve as staff liaison to Children’s Ministry and Youth Ministry committees.
- Be available for emergency pastoral calls when requested.
- Be involved in Presbytery committee/activities in consultation with Pastor/Head of Staff and attend Presbytery meetings.
Position and Candidate Requirements
We want to call a seminary graduate with 0-5 years of work experience for this newly created position. We are looking for someone with deep faith rooted in Jesus Christ with a love for the church, grounded in scripture and Reformed theology. This person will form relationships easily, can reach out enthusiastically to all ages, is willing to network and make connections in the community. Passionate and energetic, self-motivated and collaborative, listens and can lead. Able to imagine, design and implement creative approaches to worship, study and service. Competent in making full use of today’s communication technologies, both in worship and outreach.
Accountability and Review
- The Temporary Supply Associate Pastor will be called by the Session with the approval of the Committee on Ministry.
- The Temporary Supply Associate Pastor reports to and is supervised by the Pastor/Head of Staff.
- The Temporary Supply Associate Pastor is accountable to the Session through its Personnel Committee, and to the Presbytery of Detroit through the Committee on Ministry.
- There will be a review conducted with the Temporary Supply Associate Pastor every six months, or more often at the request of either party, by the Personnel Committee in consultation with the Committee on Ministry of the Detroit Presbytery.
Principal Terms of the Contract
- This is a full-time, salaried position.
- Effective annual salary $43,440 - $48,000 plus benefits
- The term is for one year, with up to two (2) one-year renewals, for a maximum of 3 years.
- The Temporary Supply Associate Pastor may be called to serve as Associate Pastor following a full and open search by an Associate Pastor Nominating Committee and ¾ vote of the Presbytery of Detroit
- The Session or the Assistant Pastor may terminate the relationship at any time with one month’s notice, provided that the Committee on Ministry has been consulted in advance.
Interested candidates should submit a resume to the Northbrook Personnel Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org
Northbrook Presbyterian Church is an Equal Opportunity Employer.