Need: Immediate; we hope to have a minister in place no later than June 2018
UKirk Campus Ministry at WCU aspires to be faithful to God, to love others as Christ loves us, and to trust the leading of the Holy Spirit in our life together. The mission of UKirk Campus Ministry at WCU is to nurture the faith development and discipleship of students, respond to human needs, and promote peace and justice as Christ teaches us.
To achieve this mission, for the sake of God’s beloved world, UKirk at WCU is congregationally connected to partner churches and seeks to provide an inviting forum for student fellowship, worship, Bible study, and mission activities locally and globally. It offers pastoral care and seeks to bear witness to God’s good news to students and to the broader WCU community.
The Ministry Board is seeking an entrepreneurial, enthusiastic, Spirit-filled leader to grow and guide the ministry.
Qualifications & Qualities:
- A true sense of call to campus ministry, and a desire to work with college -age young adults.
- Campus ministry leadership and/or related experience. This experience may reflect full -time, part-time, or internship involvement.
- A person of mature Christian faith who can shape opportunities for worship, Bible study, and spiritual nurture in the Reformed tradition on campus.
- An ability and desire to welcome and mentor all WCU students, while witnessing to the love and power of God in Jesus Christ.
- An organized, flexible, self-starter capable of working independently, without daily supervision, while remaining focused on the vision and goals of the ministry.
- An ability to design, implement, and evaluate programing.
- A willingness to nurture a working cooperation with faculty, staff, and existing university ministries and programs to promote faith development in students.
- Strong verbal presentation and writing skills, combined with an aptitude for communicating through social media.
- Seminary or related formal education is preferable.
- The position may be validated for ordained ministry by the Presbytery of Western North Carolina.
- To implement the primary mission of the ministry, by developing and nurturing a supportive community, where all students can feel welcomed, safe, and comfortable exploring questions of faith, vocation, and social justice. To provide a Christian sanctuary in the midst of everyday college life.
- To engage in mentoring, coaching, and spiritual development of students.
- To lead by example.
- To develop opportunities for worship, Bible study, fellowship, and mission.
- To develop cooperative relationships with other WCU campus ministries and be a friend in ministry to others in leadership.
- To participate in the life of the WCU campus, whenever possible, theWCU with a goal of expanding awareness of the WCU student body, and to grow student participation in the ministry.
- To develop and coordinate an effective use of the student center facilities.
- To keep office hours and be available to students, either by appointment or drop in.
- To meet regularly with the campus ministry board, which will include goal setting, written and oral reporting, discussion and evaluation, and the exploration of new ideas. • To work with the ministry board on the management of the ministry’s financial resources, and to contribute to efforts to secure additional financial support.
- To work with the ministry board to develop and maintain strong ties to the Presbytery of WNC, local congregations, and other PCUSA collegiate ministries.
How to apply:
Send a letter of interest and resume to:
PCUSA Campus Ministry
c/o Mark Hanna
334 Black Hill Road
Bryson City, NC 28713
Please include 3-4 references who can speak to your qualifications