Goal: The Worship Pastor is a key strategic leader overseeing the worship ministry at Knox Presbyterian Church. Working with Elders, Sr. Minister, and volunteers, the Worship Pastor is a pastoral musician who seeks to implement the Knox vision for worship, creating meaningful worship services aligned with our ministry vision and in touch with our diverse, multi-cultural city, so that many can connect with Jesus. This person needs to be passionate about diverse musical worship, the arts, leadership, discipleship, equipping leaders, and providing effective resources.
General Description: The Worship Pastor oversees all elements in the design and development of dynamic, high-quality, biblical worship across all worship services, connecting worshippers to the story and presence of God, while developing leaders and a culture of engagement within the worship ministry.
- In conjunction with Knox Elders and the Sr. Minister, to lead the development, implementation, establishment and maintenance of a creative, vibrant, diverse, accessible, and engaged worship culture at Knox.
- To recruit, equip, coordinate, lead, and shepherd those involved in worship ministries, training, mentoring and developing worship leaders and participants of all ages.
- To plan and oversee the development of dynamic, high-quality, biblical worship across all services that connect worshippers to the reality of God.
- Identify and mentor worship leaders in the church towards independent (worship) leading, along with the encouragement and development of musicians in the church
- Identify and regularly communicate the needs for worship services (ie. sound technicians, choir, instrumentalists, vocalists, readings, drama, arts, bells, etc.).
- Invite and encourage congregational gifts for a wide and excellent worship participation.
- Train and lead worship volunteers towards growth in both musical and spiritual leadership of the congregation.
Organization and Coordination:
- Define the needs of both 11:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. worship services in regards to flow/style/instrumentation/AV
- Oversee and coordinate the worship planning process for all services (both weekly and long-term planning), including the scheduling of worship teams, sound/AV, etc.
- Be available for worship leadership in special events (Formation Days) and services (e.g. prayer services, worship nights), including weddings and funerals.
- Prepare and organize, leading as needed, rehearsals for choir/worship teams/musicians
- Administer any licenses, etc.
Team-Building and Collaboration:
- Form fully equipped worship teams from within each service to lead in worship
- Coordinate the involvement of the choir, children/youth voices and any other musical or arts participation in worship
- Provide supportive leadership to the Knox Choir, fostering collaborative relationships between choir and other vocalists/musicians
- Oversee the sound and visual teams needed for worship services
- Regularly communicate our worship vision and strategy in a clear and compelling manner
- Make available “on-ramp” opportunities for individuals to join in service in the worship ministry
- Model the role of worshipper and worship leader—to our congregation and worship teams - by leading the congregation in worship in rotation with other teams/leaders.
- Communicate with other ministries at Knox (young adults, children’s/Camp, ESL, KWM, etc) to increase accessibility of worship and fully engage our church family in worship
- Maintain regular and ongoing communication with volunteers.
- Articulate a practical theology of the arts and promote the use of the various arts at Knox
- Articulate a theology of multi-cultural worship, encouraging the fitting use of diverse multi-ethnic and multi-cultural worship resources
- Encourage the creation of worship music by Knox’s worshipping members
- Seek out and plan opportunities for inclusion of various arts (visual arts, dance, drama, ASL, etc.) and creative incorporation of worship elements to be integrated into services (may involve the formation of a team)
Education & Vision-Casting:
- Serve as a central voice for a robust theology and biblical practice of worship at Knox, educating and helping our congregation understand the “why” behind everything that we do in the worship of our triune God.
- Serve as a voice in pastoral meetings around integration of worship and community building
- Participate in the education of the congregation on matters of worship
The pastoral musician we seek will possess or demonstrate the following:
- A mature Christian who evidences a close relationship with and commitment to Jesus Christ through prayer and reliance on His Word in all aspects of life, and a passion to serve Him by helping seekers and Christ‐followers connect with God through musical worship
- The servant heart of Jesus Christ
- Understand and embrace Knox Church’s theological vision, ministry strategy, and have a gospel-oriented love of Toronto
- Has a rich biblical and theological understanding of worship
- Minimum education of a Bachelor’s degree, preferred Master’s degree (music or theology)
- Significant experience (5 years) in music production, leading a worship team/ministry, and music arrangement, proficient in musical leadership of groups, both large and small
- Demonstrated history of planning and producing worship services with excellence
- Demonstrated ability in music, voice and either keyboard or guitar
- Strong leadership abilities with a track record of developing effective teams and growing/developing musicians
- Ability to work independently, multi‐task, and be excited to work in an ever changing environment
- Experience in leading diverse worship, both culturally and generationally
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, with a high computer proficiency
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with a proficiency in English
- A keen eye for detail, resourcefulness, a strong sense of production work flow for service planning, preparation and execution
- Outgoing approachable personality, trustworthy, and ability to perform under the highest ethical standards
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and regular one-on-one meetings with Sr. Minister, participating as a collaborative member of an engaged pastoral team in leading the Knox congregation.
- Based on the experience and competencies of the successful candidate, other elements of pastoral and musical leadership maybe added
- Other responsibilities, as required and agreed upon.
Work hours: the position is a full-time permanent position, with work hours generally flexible yet must be available for full Sundays, as well as some evening and weekend meetings.
Supervision and reporting: the Worship Pastor works under the supervision of and is responsible to the Senior Minister.
Start Date: August, 2018
About Knox Presbyterian Church: Knox is an historic church in the heart of downtown Toronto with the vision of Following Jesus - Loving the City - Serving the World. Situated across the street from the University of Toronto, we seek to be a contemporary, gospel-shaped community for the sake of the city. We are member of the Presbyterian Church in Canada. Please visit our website for more information: www.knoxtoronto.org
Applications: please send a letter of application with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Worship Pastor Application.” Application deadline is April 16, 2018.