Located on Chicago’s North Michigan Avenue, Fourth Presbyterian Church is a welcoming, serving community, reflecting the inclusive love of God and nurturing each individual’s spiritual pilgrimage.
The Youth Discipleship Coordinator is responsible for leading the church’s weekly youth programs (not including 8th grade Confirmation), as well as retreats, mission trips, conferences, and emerging opportunities for youth discipleship.
Youth Ministry at Fourth Presbyterian Church revolves around a weekly Sunday morning program and regular retreats during the school year in addition to summer trips and conferences. We are continually adapting to the opportunities and challenges facing young people, and so our youth ministry also experiments with new ways for young people to grow in discipleship, including learning, service, and community building.
- Continually discern, articulate, and implement the vision for Youth Ministry and Fourth Presbyterian Church, in collaboration with the Associate Pastor for Youth Ministry and the Youth Ministry Committee
- Oversee all aspects of Sunday morning youth ministry for Jr. High and High School youth, including curriculum selection and development, communication, scheduling, and facilities
- Assist Associate Pastor with volunteer recruitment and training
- Organize and oversee youth events like lock-ins, retreats, fellowship and service activities, and mission trips, in collaboration with the Associate Pastor for Youth Ministry
- Contribute occasionally to the work of the Urban Youth Mission program
- Maintain office hours during the week for planning and consultation purposes
- Attend and contribute to monthly Youth Ministry Committee meetings
- Manage equipment and storage space
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field or equivalent work experience
- Training and/experience in youth ministry
- An understanding of the basic tenets and practices of the Reformed Christian tradition, especially as it is expressed in the Presbyterian Church (USA)
- Experience developing volunteers
- Experience facilitating large and small group programs, particularly youth
- Good communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Facility with organizational use of social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, desired
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks, ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to take initiatives and experiment.
- Mature judgment, Good problem solving skills
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy, and follow-through
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in a Windows environment
- Use the S.P.I.R.I.T. principles of hospitality when interacting with visitors, guests, members, and staff of Fourth Presbyterian Church and Chicago Lights
- Desire and aptitude for working within a faith-based and a multi-cultural, diverse environment