LEAD 2011 features former PCUSA moderator, McCormick faculty and alumni/ae
LEAD 2011: A Firm Foundation in the Midst of Chaos, scheduled for March 5 at First Presbyterian Church in Glen Ellyn, Illinois, is uniting Chicago area Presbyterians for a full day of practical training designed to help clergy and lay leaders address a wide range of contemporary issues facing large and small congregations. A partnership between McCormick and the Presbytery of Chicago, the event begins at 8 a.m. with registration and concludes at 3 p.m. A continental breakfast and lunch are included in the cost of registration. Visit www.mccormick.edu/LEAD to register online.
Featuring several faculty and alumni/ae of McCormick Theological Seminary, workshops range from a survey of social networking to “going green,” from financial management to interfaith outreach, and from spiritual formation for children to how churches can be resources for job seekers.
The Reverend Bruce Reyes-Chow, Moderator of the 218th General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), will be leading morning worship and two workshops. His morning workshop is entitled, “Institutional Fluidity and the Nature of Church Leadership in the Future,” and in the afternoon he will co-lead “Embracing Technology for Ministry” with McCormick alumnus Mark Schimmelpfenig (Class of 2009).
Meanwhile, McCormick faculty and alumni/ae are heavily involved in the remainder of the morning and afternoon programs. They include:
- New Elder Training with Dr. Cynthia Campbell, President of McCormick
- New Clerks of Training with Rev. Barbara Bundick (Class of 1990)
- New Deacon Training with Rev. Mary Morrison (Class of 1998)
- A Greener Congregation for a Greener World with Bob Hutchins (Class of 1992) and Cindy Crosby
- Exploring the Belhar Confession with the Rev. Dr. Jeff Japinga (Class of 2005), Associate Dean of Doctor of Ministry Program
- Jesus’ Teaching on Healing with Rev. Dr. Eddie Knox (Class of 1985)
- Bible Storytelling and Congregational Spiritual Transformation with the Rev. Dr. James Shiflett (Class of 1953) and Rev. Dr. Charles Yopst (Class of 1993)
- Discernment and Discovery in Church Conflict with Elder Nancy Dolan, McCormick student
- Managing Church Finances in Tough Financial Times with Rev. Eric Heinekamp (Class of 2009)
- Garden of Eating with Rev. Dr. Linda Wygant (Class of 2006) and student Abbie Mohaupt
- The Common English Bible: A New Translation for Our Day with Dr. Ted Hiebert, McGaw Professor of Old Testament
- Two Reforming Women You Should Know! with Dr. Ken Sawyer, Associate Professor of Church History
- Hope in Conflict with the Rev. Dr. Warren Wiggins (Class of 1979)
First Presbyterian Church of Glen Ellyn is located at 550 N. Main St. at the corner of Main and Anthony. For more information, contact Grayson Van Camp at 773/947-6283 or email email@example.com.