Vision Statement: We are an intentional community of faith and committed as active participants in furthering the Kingdom of God.
Mission Statement: To minister to the spiritual and environmental needs of all people by spreading Christ's Liberating Gospel through word and deed.
We are a vital stakeholder in the Washington Park community and beyond, and focus on both building our capacity/infrastructure and on building bridges to/with our community to provide quality community services. Pastor Wilson serves on the Board of the Washington Park Consortium, one of our major partners. As an Affiliate for the Youth Empowerment Program, we partner with World Vision Chicago in a weekly leadership development program for high school students. As a site for the Greater Chicago Food Depository, we offer a weekly evening food pantry for the working poor. As a Safe Haven for the Chicago Public Schools, we partner to provide educational support to children and families of Carter Elementary School. We have been accepted to sponsor a 2013 Children’s Defense Fund Freedom School for this summer for at least 50 students onsite. As a Satellite for Kennedy King College, we provide weekly GED classes for the community. We also provide educational programs and practical support for clients of the American Cancer Society, as one of its partners. In partnership with the Chicago Children’s Museum we serve as a bridge for families to experience the CCM through discount annual memberships and trips to the CCM.
Further, we have a separate 501 C (3) tax exempt organization, Coppin Community Center, through which many of our programs are administered. We provide programming to the residents of Coppin House, a 54-unit affordable living apartment complex, through our on-site Supportive Services Coordinator. Coppin Church developed Coppin House, which opened in January 2009 through our partnership with Interfaith Housing Development Corporation of Chicago. We have small group ministry to provide pastoral care and fellowship for members. Our teaching ministry provides opportunities for spiritual growth and development through Sunday School, retreats, workshops, seminars geared for every age group and need. We endeavor to create and sustain an environment for all persons to come to know and grow in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ, and live our faith in the practical concerns of day to day living. We promote, by example, what ministry looks like when all are included and given opportunity to grow and to serve, across gender, race and ethnicity.
We were founded on March 17, 1928. We are an Historic African American congregation of about 200 members, located in the Washington Park community on the south side of Chicago.
75% of our congregation are seniors and the elderly (62 and up to 90+) who are retired educators, engineers and social workers. The remaining 25% range from young couples with children, single parent families and young adults, and middle aged persons.
We are an African American congregation, composed of 80% seniors and 20% families with children. We are located on the south side of Chicago in the Washington Park community.
Coppin Church offers every student the opportunity to develop in preaching, teaching, pastoral care, administration and community/public ministry, as our description of our ministry reflects. Coppin Church is a Solo Pastorate; this affords an opportunity for the student to “roll up his/her sleeves” and truly engage in the processes involved in building people and ministry.
Coppin Church is located 1-1/2 blocks south of 55th Street (Garfield) on Michigan Avenue, to the west of King Drive and to the East of the Dan Ryan Expressway. We are minutes from Hyde Park and accessible via all public transportation.
The Rev. Dr. Barbara Ann Wilson
My aim is to create an environment conducive to very practical hands-on learning. I expect an independent student, but also one that values attention to detail and a wholistic and systems approach to ministry. Students are encouraged and pushed to engage the field studies process, to test their own concepts, thinking and approach to ministrty in light of their call and vocation. This congregation has served many students in the past and is expectant and supportive to the field studies process.