Mission: Christian Peacemaker Teams: Building partnerships to transform violence and oppression.
Vision: A world of communities that together embrace the diversity of the human family and live justly and peaceably with all creation.
Values: Christian Peacemaker Teams is committed to work and relationships that:
CPT has around 40 full-time peacemakers and nearly 200 part-time volunteers who serve in violence-reduction projects around the world. This work is supported by a Steering Committee (board of directors) whose members represent organizations and denominations officially sponsoring CPT. Both full-time and part-time members serve for three years. For the full-timers, serving on CPT project locations is their job. Part-timers commit to serve at least two weeks a year for three years.
In the Chicago office we currently have a full time staff (support team) of 4, a half time staff member and several volunteers that come weekly. We also have bi-weekly phone meetings with the rest of the support team located all over the world via phone.
The current staff of the Chicago office in mostly Caucasian American with one African American, however the larger organization is very diverse and very committed to undoing race and oppression of all types.
• Leading office Worship at least once a month
• Facilitating meetings
• Doing advocacy work with local partner organizations and churches and seminaries
• Helping to create worship materials that can be used by overseas CPT teams, and delegations
• Helping with large administrative projects such as newsletter mailings
• Attending weekly vigil at the Immigration Detention Center outside of Chicago. This includes leading prayers, reading scriptures and being present at this difficult time. If fluent in Spanish it can also include praying of the buses and sharing information with the people being deported.
• Participating in demonstrations lead by our training teams around issues of economic injustice, immigration, trade agreements and other actions that relate to CPT field work.
• Helping to plan and possibly teach a session on the Bible and Non-Violent engagement for CPT Training
By Public Transportation:
Catch the #55 Bus towards St. Louis at the corner of 55th and University
Get off the bus and transfer at the Garfield Green Line EL station
Take the Green Line towards Harlem and get off at the Ashland –Lake
Transfer to the Pink Line toward 54/Cermak
Get off the train at California walk 0.1 miles East to 2649 W. 21st
Head north on S University Ave toward E 54th Pl
Take 1st Right onto E. 54 Place
Turn left onto S. Woodlawn
Turn Right onto E 47 St
Turn left onto Lakeshore Dr. North
Take exit onto I 55 S. towards St Louis/I 90/ I-94
Take 290 exit for Damen Ave
Keep Right at the fork , follow signs for Ashland Market PI/Chicago International Produce Market
Turn right onto S. Damen Ave
Turn Left onto W. Cermak Rd
Turn Right onto S. Rockwell St
Take second right onto W 21st 2649 is on the right, just after 2nd Speed Bump