The Interim Associate Minister for Children and Youth will be an energetic, mature individual who is dedicated to instilling the children and youth (ages 2-18) with solid Christian values in ways that are meaningful and relevant to each age group. This person needs to have a particularly strong understanding of ways to engage children, youth and their families in the church community. This person will collaborate with A Joyful Noise (AJN) Preschool staff and Board to insure effective integration of AJN and Children’s Ministry programs. This individual will be a leader of and mentor to the Children and Youth Ministries staff as well as an accessible and compelling spiritual leader of children and youth and the broader KUC community.
The Interim Associate Minister for Children and Youth will be a member of the pastoral team at KUC, participating in pastoral care and teaching and worship as appropriate. He or she will work closely with the Children and Youth Ministries Committees as well as the Music and Alison Tobey Smart Committees.
The Interim Associate Minister will be expected to provide a solid theological foundation and strong leadership skills to enhance and direct the Children’s programs.
The Interim Associate Minister for Children and Youth is responsible for supporting the Youth Director for youth groups, Confirmation and the mission trips, and the Children’s Ministry staff for all Children’s programs. This Minister reports to the Interim Senior Minister and is a vital part of the Senior Staff.
• Direct and inspire the teaching of the principles of Christian faith and lead the children and youth to live by them.
• Create a safe, welcoming environment for children to explore and deepen their faith.
• Be a visible pastoral presence among the children and youth.
• Advise on theological worship and Sunday School for children through 6th grade and youth, as well as Confirmation Class.
• Supervise the work of the Youth Director and Children’s Director along with their associate staffs.
• Offer pastoral care concerning spiritual, emotional, and personal needs.
• Encourage family participation in mission and fellowship opportunities including service outside the church. Potential participation in international youth mission trip.
• A Masters of Divinity with specific training and experience in teaching and leading Christian Education and Sunday School programs.
• Ordination preferred but open to candidates who are strongly committed to position and are eligible to be ordained in the near term.
• Strong leadership, organizational and communication skills are also necessary.
Interim training not required.
We are open to candidates from any mainline denomination who are willing to support the non-denominational tradition at KUC and the basic tenents of faith.
• Warmth, enthusiasm and energy to fully support and strengthen the dynamic and individual development of children and youth who are learning and living the Christian life.
• Willingness to be flexible during a time of leadership transition.
• Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and deadlines.
The information above is designed to indicate the general nature of the work performed in this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
The Interim Associate Minister may be a candidate for future permanent associate position.
About Kenilworth Union Church:
Kenilworth Union is an inclusive church community whose identity is formed by its devotion to God, inspiring worship, service in the community and a deep commitment to nurturing our children and youth in faith. Founded in 1892, KUC is the oldest non-denominational protestant church in the United States. For more information, see www.kuc.org .
For more information or to apply, please email email@example.com.