Greater Chicago Broadcast Ministries is a communications ministry of the Protestant, Orthodox and Episcopal churches of Greater Chicago.
GCBM’s mission is to be an extension of the Church’s mission to save, to heal, to offer a vision of hope, and thereby, serve the whole human family; to use the medium of television with a sense of artistic competence as an instrument that reveals the mystery of God’s love manifested in human life.
GCBM produces two television programs: Different Drummers on WBBM-TV (CBS), Chicago’s only weekly spotlight on contemporary values, interests and artistic talents of children and teens; and Sanctuary on WLS-TV (ABC) an in-depth journal on religion and culture.
Student interns work approximately 15 hours per week. Those hours are flexible, except the student must be available to attend the weekly television tapings at CBS on Saturday mornings from 10:00 to 12:00 noon. The tapings run from October through June, except on holiday weekends. It is okay if the student intern has to miss 2 or 3 of these tapings.
• Learn how to produce a religious broadcasting television show
• Learn about the impact a religious broadcast has on its audience
• Learn about how religious broadcasts are funded and how patron networks are established
The internship involves a great deal of phone contact with pastors and youth directors, as well as a fascinating array of guest panelists. There will also be opportunities for field production. Each week on Different Drummers we feature a different topic with 2 or 3 guest panelists and a studio audience of up to 40 youth.
From Hyde Park
By car: Lake Shore Drive North to downtown Chicago. GCBM is near the corner of Michigan Ave. and Chestnut, next to Fourth Presbyterian Church. Parking is very limited.
CTA: Red line north to Chicago Ave.
Metra: north to Loop, then bus North or Michigan Ave. to Chestnut
Lydia Talbot, Executive Director
• Working in religious broadcasting for more than 30 years (including, writing, editing, producing and hosting award-winning television programs)
• Permanent host of 30 Good Miniutes on WTTW, channel 11 and Sanctuary on ABC-7
• Board member of Christian Century Magazine and the Chicago Bible Society
• Former Chair of the Chicago Sunday Evening Club Board of Trustees
• Adjunct Professor of Public Ministry and Electronic Media; Garrett Evangelical Theological Seminary