Many of you might not know this, but we have many representatives of the more furry kind here at McCormick. McCormick has two residence buildings, the 1400 building and the Kimbark building. The Kimbark building allows for pets, while the 1400 building allows for animals to “visit.” We also have some pets living offsite as well in the Hyde Park area and in LSTC housing. We have plenty of them, so I decided to check in with some of our furry friends and here’s what I got…

Who are your humans?

Pigeon (shar-pei/lab mix) & DiDi (australian cattle dog mix): Mommy (Shelley Donaldson)

Ninja: that man and woman (Joe and Holly Medearis)

Posh:I have humans? (Once again, this one belongs to Joe and Holly)

Baby: mom-Holly and dad-Joe (Medearis)

Molly: Mom (Kathi Worthington)

Gus: Caroline (Underwood)

How are you on the living arrangements?

Pigeon: It all looks the same to me. DiDi: Not too shabby. We do sleep on a heated mattress pad while mom is in class. We used to live in Georgia where we had more room to run around, but the fleas aren’t near as bad here!

Ninja: This is month 30 of my imprisonment, so I tolerate it. It is better than the minuscule excuse of an apartment they called home in Florida.  Baby: I love it! The hardwood floors make it easier for mom to clean up, and the area rugs provide a warm seat when the floor is cold. Plus, I love the window space. Much better than Florida. Posh: Bed. Table. I love lamp.

Molly: My apartment is nice. I get to sleep in bed with mom at night, like always. The food room’s good and I have a nice warm place for my bowls, I like that a lot! I like the front door but I like the back door better ’cause cause I can see who else is outside, and I can sniff around to check up on Sam and Jack and Pigeon and DiDi and Andrew and Emma!

Gus: I love it! My human has some great leather couches that I lounge on during the day when she is gone and I have my own bedroom (closet that has been converted) with my own comfy bed! No sleeping on the bed with my human. I have my my own bed!

Where’s your favorite place in the apartment?

Pigeon: The kitchen. DiDi: The couch.

Ninja: The computer chair. Baby: Under a blanket somewhere. Posh: In the way.

Molly: My favorite place in my house is my Molly-Vision Viewers where I can watch the squirrels and little people and other dogs. I can watch all day long. I can talk to the squirrels and people too! I just don’t think they can hear me very well because they don’t talk back.

Gus: My “bedroom” of course!

Favorite treats?

DiDi: I’m partial to Beggin’ Strips. Pigeon: The trash.

Ninja: Yogurt, tuna, anything not catfood. I deserve better. Baby: I do not eat treats. I have to keep my figure. Posh: Bread.

Molly: My favorite treats are beancicles and yogurt, anything mom eats, and these groovy, crinkly sweet potato things from the pet store. Milkbones are good pretty good, too.

Gus: The occasional rawhide is nice, but I am still hoping one of those days I am going to catch a squirrel!

Favorite way to pass the time?

DiDi: Hanging out with Jack and Sam on the porch, playing Hide-the-Bones with Cassie when she visits. Pigeon: Sleeping or eating the trash… it mainly depends on if mom forgets to put the trash on the counter when she leaves.

Ninja: Creating devious plans for world domination. Baby: Hiding under a blanket. Posh: Avoiding Ninja.

Molly: My favorite ways to spend time are watching Molly-Vision, taking walks, watching Molly-Vision, curling up next to mom and wrapping up in the soft blanket on the sofa, and eating and sleeping under the covers. I do enjoy barking at Armondo.

Gus: Catching flies, licking feet or shoes, and sleeping in a cozy little nook behind the TV.

What do you think about being future preachers’ pets?

DiDi: I’m not really sure. But we do get to travel a lot. Mom is not a fan of staying on one place for too long, so she likes jobs where we can have a place to run around. Pigeon: I’m waiting for this laying on of hands thing to happen. Didn’t Jesus heal blind people? Do you think he’d do it for dogs?

Ninja: Unacceptable. How could they even be thinking of serving someone else? Baby: It is exciting. I know mom and dad will be great. Posh: Huh?

Gus: She has preached a couple of sermons to me already, they put me to sleep every time!

How many toys do you have in the apartment?

DiDi: We only have a few cow bones to gnaw on, some rope toys to floss our teeth, and Kongs for peanut butter when mom is gone for too long. Pigeon: Pretty much an endless supply. I just happen to come across them. I can’t keep count.

Ninja: Everything is my toy. Baby: A basket full! Posh: Jingle balls! Ooo shiny!

Molly: I don’t have a lot of toys. I like them sometimes, but mostly I just hang out watching Molly-Vision.

Gus: Mostly just tennis balls. If I can find them I love to play! They go under the couches a lot.

How about that snow?!

DiDi: We have shoes for that. So it’s not so bad. It’s fun to run in. Pigeon: I like to eat it.

Ninja: Better out than in, I always say. Baby: No! Bad snow! Icky, cold, and wet! Posh: Can I eat it?

Molly: I don’t know about snow here yet, but I had snow back at home and it was okay unless it got all stuck in my feet. Then it hurts. Mostly when it’s snowy, I just want to go out to go potty and come back in. The snow hurts my feet!

Gus: Well, I was born and raised in Miami, but who am I kidding?! With this thick coat of mine I was born to be in the snow! I love to run and jump in it! No booties for me! I am a dog’s dog!

*All photos are courtesy of the humans.

There’s more to come as far as our furry friends, so stay tuned!

Peace~Shelley D.

« »