Good morning all you lovely McCormick Bloggers! Two important things in here for you.

1. If you want to follow us on our RSS feed at: http://feeds.feedburner.com/mccormicksem

2. Today we’re continuing with the introduction of our Student Session members. Abby is a Senior at McCormick who loves her kitties and our Starbucks runs (literally, we have to run) during our break in Reformed Traditions (with Ken Sawyer who you’ll be meeting very soon!). She is also a serious Jennifer Knapp fan and one of two Editors-at-Large for the Herald, McCormick’s prime news source.  Among everything else she does, she also is an amazing Educational Assistant for the Junior’s Pilgrimage in Faithfulness class. Abby lives in Chicago and is married to her awesome partner, Nathan, who does a mean Kenny from 30 Rock impression. Enjoy!

Peace~ Shelley D.

Name?

Abby Mohaupt

Why did you come to McCormick?

I came to McCormick to be challenged as a person of faith, even though I knew I was going to come to McCormick by the time I was fourteen years old. Around that time, my eighth grade teacher asked us to keep a journal of what we were thinking about. It was then that I discovered how loudly God was telling me that ministry was on the horizon for me. Then, a good minister friend of the family and I talked and he nudged me in the direction of his seminary, McCormick. I was completely devastated when I realized that I was going to have to finish high school AND college before I could come to McCormick, but now I’m grateful that you can’t be fourteen and be in seminary.

There is no other place I’d rather be for my seminary education, however. McCormick is a community that reminds me that God loves everyone and calls all kinds of people to be God’s people. McCormick responds to a diverse range of student interests and needs and I like that about us. There’s no other place where I can study environmental theology in a multi-cultural context.

Other hobbies, etc.?

When I’m not doing homework or going to class, I’m usually working at Faith in Place (an interfaith environmental organization), working in a garden, cuddling with my cats. I also like to create mixed media art, write letters to friends, and collect books.

Which group do you represent on session?

Technically, I represent the Senior class, but as a commuter student who is also one of the co-editors of the student newspaper and a moderator of Women in Ministry and Eco-Justice, I also help represent those groups as well. But really, the seniors are my official love for session.

What’s one thing you’ve learned?

One thing I’ve learned is that I have enough time to do my schoolwork. Whenever I feel like I don’t have enough time, I think about my learning partner from South Korea with three kids and another on the way who gets all her work done without complaint. So I’ve learned to keep things in perspective. I’ve also learned that in the process for getting everything for school done, other things won’t get done. So I don’t stress out about other areas of my life.

What’s one thing you hope for here at McCormick?

My hope for McCormick is that the community challenges itself to stay true to its welcoming identity. I hope McCormick always works against racism and other forms of oppression even when its hard work. It’s hard but its worth it.

« »