Greetings again everyone and Happy New Year! We’re back! We might have been back sooner but the flu caught up with yours truly, so I had to sit on the sidelines for a while there. Today, I want to introduce you to Mi Suk Shin. She’s one of your international students from South Korea. We sat her down to ask her a few questions about what life is like here at McCormick for her. Here’s what she had to say…

Name? Where are you from?

Mi Suk Shin, from South Korea.

What degree are you working on?

My degree is the MTS (Master’s of Theological Study) course.

What has it been like being an international student here?

1) I can experience multi cultural understanding. 2) I can learn diversity of study.  So my prespective of Bible and culture is changed to broad rather than narrow-minded. 3) I could pursue languages at McCormick. Especially program of learning partner for international student gives me great help. Nevertheless, the hardest part of language is still yet to come to me. I try to enhance language skills such as speaking, listening, and writing.

Why did you choose to come to McCormick?

There are several reasons. First of all, I have known of McCormick since 1994 through my Presbyterian Theological Seminary in Korea. In addition, I want to learn cross-culture and diversity of study here. Finally, international students receive much help from the LRWC which is the language program.

What are your plans after you graduate?

There are three options in my plan. One is a PhD course of study. Secind is that I come back to Korea in order to minister in Church or Christian organiztion. Third is that I could teach children and teens in immigrant Church of Korea.

What has been one of your favorite things to do here in Chicago since coming here?

I like to see music concerts at music festivals in the summer.

How has the language helped/hindered you since being here? Is it hard to come here to school in a different language?

It is good for me that I can directly read and discuss many books which are written by the world’s greatest scholars. However, it is difficult for me to do exact translations of such books.

What advice would you give to other international prospective students about McCormick?

Firstly, international students can learn multicultural diversity such as religious disposition and cultural diversity at McCormick. The cross cultural diversity provides students with new perspective for study.

Secondly, programs of Language and learning partner are excellent for international students during study in McCormick. This is the thoughtful consideration of McCormick. Through learning partner, students can share their culture, religion, and global issues together.

Thirdly, ACTS system is good program. Student can learn theology in other seminaries.

Thanks Mi Suk!

Until next time!

Peace~ Shelley D.

« »