Greetings on this wonderful Monday afternoon! As you can see, we’re well on our way to being finished. So we’re just going to give you a wrap up of everything that’s happened in the last few days and is still happening.

First, there are finals. Now, I come from the Southeast. Prayer in school is a pretty normal thing there, and there are some who don’t want it. But it’s like my mother says, “So long as there are tests in school, there will be prayer in schools.” And she’s pretty right. But have you ever watched a seminary student pray about a final? It’s not just prayer; it’s a full-on lament. Think Psalms-ish. Atleast that’s how some of us were feeling before our Greek Exegesis 2 final this morning. But all is said and done, test taken, and we’re not feeling too bad about it.

The seniors have already taken their finals for the last time (they take them early to ensure graduation), but the rest of us first year and second years have to take them this week. It’s one of the times that I am sure places like Starbucks see a spike in plain, black coffee sales. I have come to prefer the instant coffee they sell, I can make it at home and not wait in line… Praise God for instant coffee.

Some of our students still have a final or two left, some are just finishing up their papers, others are resting after working so hard, some are packing to leave for the summer and others are getting ready for graduation, which comes with its own set of stresses. It’s a time of transition. The juniors have finished their first year (it’s a weird and realy great feeling!), and the middlers are now seniors (not for yours truly, I still have a final on Wednesday), and for the seniors, it’s time to get out into the world. Big steps here folks. Big steps.

Speaking of big steps, we’ve also just named our new President who will follow Rev. Dr. Cynthia Campbell as our next president. Rev. Dr. Frank Yamada will be our newest president! We’re pretty stoked here about it, you can read the article here on the McCormick page, or you can read about it from the Presbyterian Outlook (the editor mis-spelled our name…). The announcement was made on Friday afternoon at a worship service held by the Search Committee and the Board of Trustees. We’re grateful for the hard work they’ve put in and the faithfulness that they have had in this process.

Frank was an internal candidate, already serving us as an associate professor of Hebrew Bible and as the director for the Center for Asian American Ministries. He will take office as the new president on July 1, 2011.

Lastly, Feast of Fools. We can’t tell you much about it. You have to experience it for yourself. It’s a student session sponsored event, just before finals week begins every year, and when I tell you we laugh, we laugh hard. My face hurt when I was done and my mascara had run pretty bad after laughing so hard I cried. Like I said, I can’t say too much about it, but I can tell you this much: Ed Bird is crazy and Jeff Kline should never be given loose change.

Well friends, that is it. We’re done here until mid August. Make sure to check us back out this Fall, where we’ll be bringing you new students, updates, new pets and families and just general merriment from the McCormick Community.

Until August!

Peace ~ Shelley D.

« »