Good morning McReaders! We’re introducing you to the first of the three new Deacons at McCormick. This past weekend, we shared some time together getting to know one another and also eating some delicious food at the Chicago Diner. If you’ve never been, you should go. Right. Now. Our first Deacon is a family man, and he also has a love for Dunkin’ Dounuts…

Your name, degree and where you’re from?

Most people call me Ken (Crews), but I’ve definitely been called worse in my life! I am from Valparaiso, IN and I’m pursuing a M.Div.

In his spare time, Ken also practices his pink flamingo poses and then goes and stands in people's yards.

Who makes up your family?

My family consists of my wonderful wife Heather, my two crazy children Owen (8 – going on 80, he seriously is like a grumpy old man some days!) and Evelyn (4 – going on 40), Sasha Marie the lazy black lab, and Ruby Sue the tabby cat. We recently lost Bob the toad to old age (at least that’s what we’re calling it!).

Why did you come to McCormick?

I came to McCormick because I honestly felt called by God to be at this place at this time. I believe God called me to McCormick to be experience the diversity that McCormick, and the city of Chicago, has to offer.

Why did you want to become a Deacon?

I wanted to become a Deacon as a way to be intentionally involved with the McCormick community, and to support my fellow seminarians in this special ministry.

What do you hope to be able to do as a Deacon?

As a Deacon I hope to survive the next three years of McCormick, and maybe make someone smile along the way…

What’s been the best part of being in seminary so far?

The best part of being in seminary so far has been creating opportunities to make lasting relationships with some amazing people.

What’s the biggest challenge you’ve faced so far?

The biggest challenge I’ve faced so far has been making the transition from full-time employee to full-time student, but it has been a very rewarding experience.

If you could eat one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?

If I could eat one meal… hmmm…. so many tasty options… does coffee and a Boston creme from Dunkin’ Donuts with chocolate ice cream for dessert count as a meal?! I’m guessing it would be a short life!!!

What music is on your playlist right now?

Playlist, playlist??? You youngsters with your new-fangled techimonology! I honestly haven’t even listened to my ipod in months. However, I enjoy a wide variety of music from contemporary bluegrass to rock to classical to hip hop (both Christian artists and secular).

Stay tuned for Friday’s blog! It’s sure to be a good one!

Peace~ Shelley D.

« »