Well, it’s been a busy week and we’re a bit late posting! As part of our monthly spotlight on the neighborhoods of Chicago, I thought I’d share a neighborhood I’ve been spending a fair amount of time in recently – Bridgeport.

Located on the south side, Bridgeport is bordered by the Chicago River on the North and West, Pershing Rd. on the South,  and US Cellular Field (Home of the White Sox!!) on the East. Historically it was the home of the Democratic Political Machine and was home to Chicago’s two most famous mayors: Richard J Daily and Richard M Daily. It was also called one of the most diverse neighborhoods in Chicago by the Chicago Sun-Times in 2008.

Maria's Packaged Goods and Community Bar

Now, I said I’ve been going a lot recently – the first time to have a date night with my wife. First we visited a restaurant called Pleasant House Bakery. If you’re in the mood for a savory pie, you should make the trip, it’s totally worth it. Right next door was our second stop – Maria’s Packaged Goods and Community Bar. This is one of the best bars I’ve been to in Chicago.

After the initial visit I continued to go to host a theology pub for my field site (Grace Commons). While the theology pub wasn’t successful, I really enjoyed spending time in the neighborhood. The last time was was in Bridgeport I even saw (and was nominally part of) the filming of a pilot for a new Travel Channel Show!

Here are some highlights of the neighborhood:

The aforementioned Pleasant House Bakery and Maria’s Community Bar; The Bridgeport Coffee Company – a coffee shop that roasts its own beans in house!;  Han 202 – a five course prix fix Chinese restaurant getting rave reviews; Palmisano Park – One of Chicago’s many parks, this one was opened in a former quarry and is said to offer incredible sky line views; Let’s Boogie Records and Tapes; Shaller’s Pump – a famous southside watering hole; and Zhou B Art Center – a former factory turned art gallery.

So here’s to Bridgeport – The Community of the Future!

Have a blessed and safe Thanksgiving!

« »