Friday, March 11

Friday, March 11, 2011

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,

and in his word I hope …

Psalm 130 (excerpt)

Two years ago I traveled to New York City to lead a retreat, and I also participated in some urban outreach in the Queen’s area. There is no city like New York City. I was truly blessed while serving the people. New York allowed God to renew some parts of my soul. However, the joy of the Lord left me when I got to LaGuardia Airport. My flight to Chicago boarded on time, but we sat on the taxi-way for an hour. I was upset, because the delay did not make common sense.

The weather was pleasant in Chicago and New York, and there were no mechanical issues with the plane. Even though we received additional snacks for no extra charge, the cookies and juice did not stop my morning hunger. When we arrived in Chicago, I asked the pilot what was the reason for the delay, and he said, “there was no room at the gate, and we had to sit still until there was an open space”.

Often times we run, look, anticipate, plan, and even prophesize the next moments in our life. Yet, during this Lenten journey and on this day, God wants you to wait. Sometimes we get lost, because we do, say, and think things that are not connected to the will or character of God, therefore on this day wait. Wait for God to love you in a new way, wait for God to say something for your life, wait for God to comfort the troubled parts of your soul. Be still and know that God is God.

Prayer

God help me to enjoy Your presence during this Lenten journey. God meet me, love me, and care for me right where I am on this day. In the name of Jesus, amen.

Rev. William E. Hall is a student at McCormick Theological Seminary as well as Associate Pastor for Young Adults and Commissioned Minister at Trinity United Church of Christ, Chicago.