Sunday, April 3

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Jesus said, ‘I came into this world for judgment so that those who do not see may see, and those who do see may become blind.’ Some of the Pharisees near him heard this and said to him, ‘Surely we are not blind, are we?’ Jesus said to them, ‘If you were blind, you would not have sin. But now that you say, “We see,” your sin remains. – John 9: 39-41

The miracles of modern medicine certainly influence the way I read this parable.

Though my friend, Amanda, could function before the surgery with glasses, life became much richer when her sense of sight was heightened through Lasik surgery. She was so in awe of the simple beauty of trees that she got an intricate trunk surrounded by swirling branches and leaves tattooed across her entire back. Before the surgery, she said all trees pretty much looked alike. After Lasik, she could see that each leaf had its own shape and texture and reflected light in a unique way.

Though I’ve personally always had 20-20 vision in a physical sense, I know that God has graciously been peeling away layers of spiritual and emotional blindness from my life time and time again.

From my days as college freshman who spent one summer on an urban mission project and came back convinced suburbanites were obviously clueless to my first year at seminary when I thought every opinion without a bible verse attached to it was an invalid opinion; there have been many times when I was certainly convinced that God had opened my eyes so that I could enlighten others. Obviously they needed to be reminded of the error of their ways and think and act more like me! I wasn’t particularly open to the thought that I might be the blind one.

Now, I am a recent seminary graduate who has learned the hard way that Christians – even those in academia who are training to be pastors – aren’t perfect and are hypocrites if they pretend to be. The reality of God’s grace toward me and my fellow sinners has clicked in a way I could not fathom before.

Though this new insight came through pain and disappointment, I praise God that He’s allowed me to see that each Christian is a unique creation that reflects God’s grace, mercy and goodness in a slightly different way than the rest. Our creator not only crafted the trees in each forest, but also every single splendid leaf.

Prayer
Holy Lord. Thank you for giving us give us true sight when we are willing to admit that we have been looking at life without you and our vision is flawed. Thank you for being a God for the small details as well as the big picture. Thank you for the gift of growth as you refine us and we share our stories with one another. You are good. May we never forget You. Amen.

Alicia Leonardi writes for McCormick from Colorado – home of the majestic Blue Spruce.