Wednesday, April 13

April 13, 2011

I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me just as the Father knows me and I know the Father-and I lay down my life for the sheep.  I have other sheep that are not of this sheep, I must bring them also.  They too, will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.  The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again.  No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord.  I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again.  This command I received from my Father. – John 10: 14-18

What a blessing it is to have Jesus as our Friend. There are times throughout our lives when Christ may become our parent, teacher, guide or mentor. Regardless of the role he takes, our Lord always wants to best for us.

In order for us to truly experience a personal relationship with Jesus, we must do some work.  In fact, we must work, daily, to get to know our Lord and Savior better.

Through prayer and meditation; Bible study; caring charitable work in our community and within our religious institutions; and living a life that best represents Christ, we can develop a trusting intimate relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ .A personal relationship with Him exceeds any worldly possession.

Christ is all-knowing.  He loves us in spite of our human faults. His love for humanity extends to those persons who don’t know him as well as those who think they don’t want to know Him.

Christ is grace.  It was through His grace that he voluntarily gave up his life to cleanse us of our sins.

Christ is love.  Our Lord loves us so much that he gave up his life so that we might have life. In return, we must love Him and our brothers and sisters with the same passion and faith.

Prayer

Loving, gracious Friend, teach me to love in such a manner that I celebrate every moment of everyday.

Michele Y. Edwards is co-moderator of Student Session and moderator of the Pan-African Student Organization.  She is an Adrienne M. and Charles Shelby Rooks Scholar of the United Church of Christ.