Our Strategic Vision for Ministry describes our calling to accept and share God’s grace. Our Mission Statement emphasizes God’s grace as we worship, love and learn. Our Core Values reflect a foundation for drawing people to Christ, for training disciples and for discovering ways to make ourselves useful to God:
- Trust in God’s Enduring Faithfulness. We are commissioned by Christ to proclaim God’s love and faithfulness to our community and beyond.
- Unity: Communion over Controversy. We should not be divided by controversy, but make every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace (Eph 4:3).
- Honoring our Important Moments. We cherish the blessings and burdens of life to remember that a life of faith contains several milestone moments of closeness to God.
- Transformative Education. We emphasize and appreciate education programs, particularly those that help us understand the Bible and discern the good, acceptable, and perfect will of God (Rom 12:2).
- A Generous Spirit. God is generous beyond measure, and we respond to God’s grace by serving others generously.
Informed by these values, we seek clear paths to the following:
- To preach and demonstrate the Gospel while affirming the core theology and themes of the Reformed Tradition.
- To challenge our congregation to share the Gospel with all.
- To model our lives after Christ with a proper sense of humility and privilege.
- To grow spiritually and numerically, driven by the message of the cross and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Within a needful and dynamic Memphis metro area, we are active believers who love and serve our neighbors and each other. Our music ministry is well established and recognized locally. Our outreach ministry partners with many of the best agencies that strive to provide hope and justice for the materially poor, the homeless and local schools. We have developed unique ministries for people with special needs. Opportunities like these have been vitally important to our church for almost 180 years.
We prayerfully desire to more fully engage the community around us while making evident His enduring love and grace. We want to do this with a spirit of hospitality and encouragement to others along their journey of faith. As our culture seems to become increasingly secular, a growing number of our neighbors do not know the value of building their lives around Christ. We have an opportunity to help them learn more about the challenge and comfort of scripture and what a church life that nourishes Christian discipleship looks like.
We feel called to become better witnesses to life in Christ in our own backyard including urban Memphis and the suburban towns nearby. We are called to a neighborly evangelism that is invitational and encouraging and to a discipleship rooted in God’s perfect love and mercy.
This position will work alongside our senior pastor and other staff to inspire and motivate the members of GPC to reach others with the good news of God’s healing love.
Worship is continually and critically important. We embrace tradition, but also know that God fashions obedient hearts to worship and serve Him in both classic and contemporary ways. Our associate pastor will nurture our worship to maintain our Reformed understanding as we also adopt fresh expressions of thoughtful and repentant celebration.
We strive to offer a vibrant adult Sunday school, instruction in the Bible, and other educational opportunities. Our associate pastor will give careful attention to the quality and quantity of Sunday morning and mid-week Bible study, will implement and report on those processes, and will advocate for growth and extension of education to those within and without our church.
Immediately (and during the next 2-3 years) this position will help us identify opportunities for effective evangelism and growing engagement in church life. Our associate pastor will identify obstacles in our path, develop relationships, plan, organize and guide our lay leaders toward fruitful implementation. We aspire to intentional hospitality to guests and the corresponding engagement of new and seasoned members in the daily life of our church.