Job Description-Decarceration Organizer
Live Free Chicago seeks a Decarceration Organizer. The mission of LIVEFREE Chicago is to address violence against the black community and to create racial and economic justice in
Illinois, by engaging people in public life to translate faith into action and to overcome barriers to opportunity in low-income communities, including mass incarceration and gun violence.
The position reports to the Executive Director under the direction of the Decarceration Advisory team. PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Advance Decarceration Policies at the Federal, State, and Local Levels: *
- Partner with the National Live Free team to help mobilize efforts to shape federal policies and practices regarding criminal justice reform.
- Develop, strengthen, and nurture alliances and work in partnership with stakeholders including formerly incarcerated people, crime survivors, chapters, volunteers, legislators, business leaders, legal professionals, reform advocates, and religious and political leaders.
- Provide regular, comprehensive updates on campaign progress to various stakeholders.
- Plan and manage events to raise visibility and support for the campaign.
- Manage and help plan in-district visits with targeted legislators and other elected officials.
- Ensure that the interests and vision of impacted communities shape Live Free
Chicago’s work on criminal justice reform and elevate leadership within impacted communities and the broader public to help shape campaign goals, strategies, and tactics.
- Elevate the stories and experiences of impacted communities and individuals, ensuring that the interests and vision of impacted populations and the broader community are reflected in the Campaign for Justice initiatives.
- Identify, Develop and Nurture Leaders towards a Powerful Base *
- Implement organizing plans with tactics for involving volunteers and chapters that balance immediate campaign goals with building long-term volunteer capacity.
- Meet quantitative goals for event building, volunteer contact and recruitment
- Identify, nurture, and elevate volunteer leadership within impacted communities and the broader public to help shape and inform campaign goals, tactics, and strategies.
- Mobilize volunteers to take action on legislative campaigns using a variety of tactics: event attendance, 1:1’s, calls, letters, petition signature gathering, canvassing, phone banking, in-person meetings, house parties, etc.
- Produce ongoing reports tracking data and other metrics.
While no one person will have all the qualities enumerated below, the successful candidate will bring many of the following qualifications and attributes:
- Personal experience being incarcerated or in other ways impacted by the criminal justice system is strongly preferred.
- Experience in community/field organizing and base building, preferably at least one year.
This can include volunteer work.
- Experience in political/advocacy/campaign organizing, with experience working directly with volunteers preferred.
- Experience putting campaign strategy and tactics for volunteer engagement into practice.
- A history of working collaboratively and successfully with people and organizations from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds and a broad range of ideological positions and religious views.
- Demonstrated ability to work on a fast-paced campaign with many moving pieces and adapt to changing circumstances preferred.
- Knowledge of criminal justice reform or an ability to quickly get up to speed
- Superb organizational skills; detail-oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Creative, self-starting, willing to learn, and results-oriented with strong task and time management skills.
- Passion for and commitment to ending mass incarceration and advancing racial justice.
- Ability to have a flexible schedule and travel.
- Work evening and weekend events as needed, ability to have a flexible schedule.
- Unwavering commitment to the mission and goals of the Live Free Chicago, including a demonstrated commitment to equity and racial justice.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, within the range 35,000-38,000. Live Free
Chicago provides a health care stipend, vacation, holiday, and sick leave policies.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please indicate where you learned of this job posting. No phone calls, please. This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The Live Free Chicago reserves the right to change the job description and/or posting at any time without advance notice.
- Ability to apply online via Indeed.com. Click here.
_ Live Free Chicago is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. Live Free Chicago encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status. We encourage formerly incarcerated individuals to apply.
- supervisory: 1 year (Preferred)
- organizing: 1 year (Preferred)
- field organizing: 1 year (Preferred)
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Professional development assistance
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
- Innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- High stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment
- Weekends required
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19